Traci and Stacey have given over 120 free speaking programs in the last decade, in local organizations, clubs, groups and charity events. Although we have 4 didferrent speaking topics, one of the favorites is "Fascinating Jewelry Facts and Fiction."
Have YOU heard that toothpaste is a great way to clean your jewelry?
Well, here are the facts about this very popular myth!
1) Maybe back in the day when toothpaste wasn't much more that baking powder and water, it wouldn't do any HARM at least!
2) However, nowadays tooth "paste" often include tartar control chemicals, teeth whitening chemicals and tooth sensitivity chemicals. It isn't benign anymore.
3) The myth had one important fact, and it's that toothbrushes make a great tool for getting into the nooks and crannies of your jewelry, especially rings.
4) Traditionally jewelers use a solution of half hot water and half sudsy ammonia, soak briefly and then use the toothbrush.
5) Expert's tip: Don't use that same toothbrush for brushing your teeth anymore! :)
It has happened to us all. I mean, us ALL!
You're running a tiny bit late, and you go to put on a lovely diamond necklace you only wear for special occasions, and (sound effect: screeching brakes)...! The fine chain has a knot in it, and there's no budging it in the amount of time you have until you walk out the door. Grrrrr!
Here're some ideas to prevent this problem of modern life (especially when travelling:
- Put each fine necklace (with its pendant attached) into a small ziplok bag, then close the seal while leaving a little bit of chain (maybe one inch) dangling outside the ziplok.
- Cut a regular straw (like from McDonald's) into 2 pieces. String the straw onto a fine chain, and reattach clasp. This method, shared by one of our clients over 20 years ago, works great but we don't know why!
- Always keep the chain clasped no matter where it is. Unclasped chains seek each other out like a moth to a flame! LOL
And, if you ever have a knot (or knots) so bad that you can't undo it, Masterpiece Jewelers will be glad to work on it for you, usually for FREE!
This morning a longtime client stopped by to ask me if a ring she had with her was "real." We always provide this service at no charge.
She looked especially delighted when I confirmed that it was real karat gold and genuine chocolate diamonds. I was curious about her reaction, so I asked her how she'd gotten the ring. (It looked like it had been worn a little, so I didn't think it was a recent gift.)
"I bought it at an estate sale for $1!"
So, great news for her, right? Yes, definitely!
But what about the family who held that estate sale, and sold that expensive ring that their loved one had treasured for $1??? No bueno!
We have heard this story too many times, and it is something that can be EASILY preventable!
At Masterpiece Jewelers, we offer a FREE One-Hour Jewelry Evaluation exactly for this situation. There is no way you can know for sure what is "real" and what isn't, so we would love to put your mind at ease, especially when you are already dealing with the emotions of a loss.
To schedule your OWN FREE One-Hour Jewelry Evaluation here at Masterpiece Jewelers, simply call us at 386-252-0010 and ask for an appointment. We'll take it from there!
Keep on shining-
The scenario is a little like this: A lady goes into her jewelry box to put on her beloved diamond stud earrings... and suddenly is confused. You see, last year she went on a cruise, and she didn't want to risk taking her "good" jewelry with her. So, she purchased a nearly identical pair also in 14k gold to wear during her trip.
However, when she got back from the trip and put all her cruise jewelry back into her jewelry box, she didn't think to separate the real from the faux!
Flash forward to today, and she feels the tickle of anxiety as she thinks "Oh my! Which is which now??"
Well, CRISIS AVERTED here at Tracy & Stacy's Masterpiece Jewelers! She simply brought them both in to us, and we quickly determined which pair was which- absolutely free of charge- and now she has peace of mind knowing where her "good" sparkly earrings are, and where her "fun" sparkly earrings are!
This situation comes up monthly at our store, and it occurred to me that I should write a quick blog to let folks know that this is a FREE service we offer.
Keep on shining-